I bought 7 new patterns today from McCall's/Vogue/Butterick. They were all on sale so I had to... :-)
Shipping to Israel is $25 for up to 7 patterns, and 8 or more cost $55, so I went for just 7 patterns. It took me hours to choose them! Here they are:
1. McCall's 5431
I bought mostly dress patterns before, so I thought I'd get a skirt pattern for a change. Also I love pockets and this one has such cute huge pockets, and I like the finished projects I saw, such as this one and several others. They all came out well, and they look so crisp, feminine and happy:
![]() |
| Sharon M |
![]() |
| born2bead |
2. Vogue 1235 (DKNY)
I was unsure about this one. There are no images of finished projects on the web of this pattern. But it's DKNY and I like its shape and detail, so I'm taking a shot.
3. Vogue 7898
At first I didn't want this dress, as I am not a fan of asymmetric hems. Also, most of the finished projects I saw were not to my liking. But then I saw this finished project and it looks so perfect on her that I couldn't resist trying... Also, it's a unique pattern that I'd probably learn from. I bought sizes 6-10 (and not 12-16) though theoretically I am supposed to get a size 12 bust, but I'm used to patterns being too large, and I do not want to draft the sleeves and sleeve holes myself!
![]() |
| Erica B. |
4. Vogue 8633
I was unsure whether to get this one as well. The finished projects look quite flattering, though, and I love the neckline. Also, the other patterns I got have a full skirt, so I thought it would be good to get this straight skirt as well for a change. What convinced me was this finished project - well, she is beautiful and the dress is so flattering on her:
| Political Onyx |
And these were nice as well:
| twelvedressesblog |
| Allison C |
This is a unique dress, different from the others. I am taking a risk regarding whether or not it will be flattering on me... But I like trying new things :-) and technically I would like to try to sew it. There were several nice finished projects (most not to my liking or not suitable for my figure/age/style), but this one was the best:
![]() |
| Very Prairie |
This one by Tessuti is also nice, on a woman more or less my age, and made in a style to my liking.
Again I had a dilemma with the size, and ended up getting sizes 4-10 rather than larger because it is a loosely fitted dress anyway.
6. McCall's 5400
I like the two different tops and bottoms of these bathing suits, and I think the tunic will also be useful. What won me over was this finished project, especially the part where she said it took her under 4 hours to make and it was easy :-) I've never made a bathing suit before but I'm going to try!
![]() |
| Immelu |
7. McCall's 6111
Look at this dress! It is just too cute. I know it is quite plain and sort of for younger girls but I still love it. I love the back and I love the white eyelet fabric they chose:
Here are patterns I wanted but did not make the cut, because of my "7 pattern limit" (maybe next time):
1. McCall's 6109
I wanted this dress because of the cowl neck, the pockets, the full skirt, and because it uses a knit fabric - I'd like to practice my sewing of knits/jersey. I didn't like the finished projects I saw on patternreview, but I liked these, which I found searching google:
| Real Life: Live & Unscripted |
| manecoarse |
| manecoarse |
I ended up choosing Vogue 1235 over it, because it is more sophisticated and it is a designer pattern... and it has pockets :-) Also, this pattern is a risky cut for my figure, I think.
2. Vogue 8667
I like the clean look of this dress, the box pleats, and the neckline and sleeves, but looking over some finished projects, I think it has a bit of a conservative / boring / not-sexy look, so it didn't make the cut.
3. Vogue 8645
Don't ask me why, but I really wanted this dress. It is loose fitting, which I usually don't go for, and the sash shapes it on the waist. I love the ties at the shoulders and I was really curious as to whether or not this pattern would work for my figure (or look like an unflattering sack).
I didn't like the finished projects I saw, and one of the reviewers specifically said it was not flattering for her figure (though there's only a picture of the dress on a dress form and not on a live person). The two other reviewers are of a different figure / age group than I am, so it wasn't too indicative. Anyway, I chose the asymmetric dress (Vogue 7898) over this one. Maybe next time...
I didn't like the finished projects I saw, and one of the reviewers specifically said it was not flattering for her figure (though there's only a picture of the dress on a dress form and not on a live person). The two other reviewers are of a different figure / age group than I am, so it wasn't too indicative. Anyway, I chose the asymmetric dress (Vogue 7898) over this one. Maybe next time...


















No comments:
Post a Comment