This is a simple lightweight grey knit (jersey), for shirts:

This is a beautiful paisley lightweight knit (jersey) that I think I'll make a sleeveless top out of - there's not much of it. It has a very smooth velvety feel to it.
Now for some news!! I've been working with the Cal Patch book (Design-It-Yourself Clothes - Patternmaking Simplified) - it is an amazing book!! It is very hands on. I drafted my very first A-line skirt and brought it to life quite soon after that. It took me only 2 mornings to finish :-) and I'm happy with the result!


Can you guess what those white slashes are in the picture...? Here's a hint:
And for good measure, here's a photo of Pushkin, doing what he usually does - which is: absolutely nothing.
That's it for today :-) So if you know how to sew and want to learn pattern drafting, I warmly recommend this excellent book!
Design-It-Yourself Clothes - Patternmaking Simplified
by Cal Patch
This is a beautiful paisley lightweight knit (jersey) that I think I'll make a sleeveless top out of - there's not much of it. It has a very smooth velvety feel to it.
This is the fabric I had my eye on earlier. It is a medium weight weaved cotton with a bit of a shiny finish to it (not as shiny as in the photo). There's enough of it for a pair of trousers. I plan to use it for my first drafted trouser pattern!
And this final one is a lightweight weave which also will do well as a summer trousers (maybe calf length?) or a skirt, maybe.
Now for some news!! I've been working with the Cal Patch book (Design-It-Yourself Clothes - Patternmaking Simplified) - it is an amazing book!! It is very hands on. I drafted my very first A-line skirt and brought it to life quite soon after that. It took me only 2 mornings to finish :-) and I'm happy with the result!
The fit is great! And now if I want to make more (which I do!), with modifications such as pockets or whatever, I can use the original pattern and simply copy it and add on to it. I am very pleased with this book!!!
The next A-line skirt I drafted is in the works. Sorry it looks all shabby and not-ironed. I added pockets and a waistband, made it looser at the hip and made it below the knee.
The fabric is kind of weak and not firm and stretches a bit out of shape. In the future I think I'll stick to sturdier fabrics for skirts. I've still got to finish the waistband and fix the hem - for some reason it isn't straight. And the pockets as well - they show too much through the fabric. Though I guess after adding the interfaced inner waistband piece and hemming it and ironing, it'll look much better. But working with crisp tightly woven fabrics that don't easily wrinkle (even if they're cotton) is a much safer bet, especially on your first skirts...
And now for some non-sewing related stuff :-)
I bought these nice bedsheets yesterday. I try not to buy Sateen anymore because the cat fur sticks to it, but it was so pretty! And it was on sale, cheaper than the plain cotton! I hope the design will attract attention away from any fur... O_O Here they are, hanging up to dry:
And this book was a gift I got for my 32nd birthday (which is today! :-))
Can you guess what those white slashes are in the picture...? Here's a hint:
They are whiskers getting in the way of the photo! Shugi took a keen interest in my photo taking and shoved his pretty little face wherever the camera was pointing :-)
And for good measure, here's a photo of Pushkin, doing what he usually does - which is: absolutely nothing.
That's it for today :-) So if you know how to sew and want to learn pattern drafting, I warmly recommend this excellent book!
Design-It-Yourself Clothes - Patternmaking Simplified
by Cal Patch

No comments:
Post a Comment