Sunday, May 2, 2010
sewing books
I haven't written in a while, I know. To tell the truth I haven't sewn in a while till a few days ago. But now I'm back!
Today I got my second and last package from Amazon - books books and more books, mostly about sewing. Some are disappointing, some are exciting. I only got a brief look at each book, but here are my first impressions. Later on when I actually use the books (which will take time) I'll give another opinion of them.
All photos are from amazon. In case you're interested in more reviews about these books, just search for them by name there.
So let's begin!
Wild and Wonderful FLEECE ANIMALS
by Linda Carr
The animals in this book look professional and cute. But I wanted a book with more unique stuff. The animals here look almost store bought. I guess it's the fleece and the mainstream designs that get them to look like that. So I guess I'm a bit disappointed, though I will give it a try. Not as excited to do so as I was when I originally ordered this book. To be fair, I haven't yet found a book that I like about sewing stuffed animals.
I give it 3 stars out of 5 in my quick-to-judge-just-got-the-book-today-but-already-have-an-opinion scale.
Vogue Sewing revised and updated
by Vogue Knitting Magazine
This is one of the exciting gems in the pile! I love it! It has everything about anything you wanted to know about sewing. It is professional, concise, with lots of pages and illustrations. Not too much color but that's fine. It looks like it is going to teach me tons! So happy I got it!!
I give it 5 stars out of 5 in my quick-to-judge-just-got-the-book-today-but-already-have-an-opinion scale.
House of Stairs
by William Sleator
OK so this isn't a sewing book. This is a story I read in the 4th grade, growing up in New Jersey. I got it at the school library. That was... over 20 years ago. And I still remember this book and have always wanted to get it and read it again. How will my 31 year old eyes and brain feel about this book today? I wonder.
I give it 5 stars out of 5 in my quick-to-judge-just-got-the-book-today-but-already-have-an-opinion scale, just for nostalgia's sake.
Design-It-Yourself Clothes
by Cal Patch
I got this book due to a recommendation from my good friend Gray :-) She said it's a very useful pattern making book. I really want to learn pattern making because really I am tired of ill fitting clothing, and I want to draft something from scratch according to my real measurements. It looks like a very approachable clean book, that could be fun and informative. It doesn't teach you the boring basic A-line skirt, but gives an example with pockets or with a frilly hem. Should be fun and interesting to learn this way!
I give it 4 stars out of 5 in my quick-to-judge-just-got-the-book-today-but-already-have-an-opinion scale.
"Yes or No": The Guide to Better Decisions
by Spencer Johnson
OK, again not a sewing book (almost the last one!). I read this book at an old friend's house. I know you might frown upon this type of book... But at the time I found it insightful. It gives 6 steps that help you contemplate making a decision. I wanted to read it again. I am awful at making decisions, sadly!!! I wish I could change that!
I give it 4 stars out of 5 in my quick-to-judge-just-got-the-book-today-but-already-have-an-opinion scale.
Knitted Toy Tales - Irresistible characters for all ages
by Laura Long
This is the last non-sewing book in the list. But it is about knitting, close enough! I got it for my mom, who knits the most amazing stuff. She chose it from a variety of knitting stuffed animals, and I think she made a good choice. There are some pretty cute creatures in this book :-) More successful than my sewing stuffed animals books, I think.
I give it 4 stars out of 5 in my quick-to-judge-just-got-the-book-today-but-already-have-an-opinion scale.
Serger Secrets: High-Fashion Techniques for Creating Great-Looking Clothes
This is a book about sergers (overlock machines) that I chose out of 3 books. I leafed through it and I'm quite disappointed. I don't think I'll make much use of this book. I mean, how much stuff do you do with your serger? Looks like a waste of my money. Maybe if I look at it again more deeply I will find it useful, and I'm sure I'll learn something like proper thread tension, but I'm not too happy with this one.
I give it 2 stars out of 5 in my quick-to-judge-just-got-the-book-today-but-already-have-an-opinion scale.
Fit for Real People: Sewing Great Clothes using ANY pattern
I love this book already! It looks so smart and it is just what I need! Getting a pattern to fit you is so important I think. Even if you sew a perfect seam, and copy the pattern perfectly, and finish everything off beautifully, what good is it if it drapes on you like a smock? This book looks like it delivers on its promise. It is hands on and inspiring. I can't wait to get started!
I give it 5 stars out of 5 in my quick-to-judge-just-got-the-book-today-but-already-have-an-opinion scale.
Metric pattern cutting for women's wear
by Winifred Aldrich
Another book about pattern drafting. It requires some heavy concentration. But it looks concise and covers lots of stuff. I think I will find it useful, when I find the time and attention for it.
I give it 4 stars out of 5 in my quick-to-judge-just-got-the-book-today-but-already-have-an-opinion scale.
Bean Bag Buddies
by Nicki Wheeler
The creatures here are cute but again they look almost store bought... I wanted something else... :-( I think this book is the best of the 3 I got about sewing stuffed animals. But time will tell.
I give it 3 stars out of 5 in my quick-to-judge-just-got-the-book-today-but-already-have-an-opinion scale.
Sew Me, Love Me: Best Stuffed Friends to Make
by Hsiu-Lan Kuei
I expected more from this book. The creatures are indeed unique but it is more like a preppy designer book where if I make these creatures I feel like I'm just copying... And who wants to do that? Also, the creatures are made of socks, and I didn't intend to make sock creatures. This isn't what I was looking for...
I give it 3 stars out of 5 in my quick-to-judge-just-got-the-book-today-but-already-have-an-opinion scale.
Well, that's a lot of books! And to top it all off I got my Burda magazine in the mail today (4/2010)!
So tell me what you think of these books!
Do you have them?
Do you use them?
What do you think of them?
Do you have other books you can recommend?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











1 comment:
When you mentioned (on BurdaStyle) waiting for books, I was so curious and excited for you. I never expected you would be posting them!
I do have Sew Me, Love Me and I LOVE IT! I even bought copy for son's (the musician) girlfriend as gift. Immediately recommended your "Yes or No" to him!!!! Constantly in decision making situations. Recently signed a U.K. contract-yeah! Quite a bit of mental scales necessary to select that path. So, maybe your direction with this book a help for the next hop.
The Metric Pattern Cutting is one I would have ordered sight unseen, too. I find I learn best from that graphic format style. Of course, how far wrong can you go with Vogue? Again, the utilitarian teaching method-like an engineer's blueprint- my favorite way.
Since I make bears & try (ha!) to make dolls, in addition to clothing-the Knitted Tales book could be easily adapted to fabric creations-that frog is awesome. Knit, too, so, double worth investment.
Nice choices. Huge thank you for, once again, sharing. Beatrice
Post a Comment