Sunday, August 26, 2012

moving house... the beginning

I have a few months of a time gap between the time my apartment lease ends and the time I get my new apartment, so I've been gradually moving some of my stuff (by myself! so proud) over to my parents' house / storage while getting rid of some other stuff along the way.

These felt and fabric pieces were given to a social worker who uses arts and crafts as part of her community work. It made me feel good to give them to such a good cause. I was also pleased to find how easy it is to give fabric away - there are many people who are happy to take fabric and fabric scraps without being picky.



I also gave away an overbearing heap of fabric scraps. Two women took everything within about two hours since posting the ad. One adds personal touches to her daughters' clothes, the other makes patchwork quilts.



This sofa and the cabinet will be given to charity. The grey armrest covers were sewn to cover up the "cat treatment" to the sofa fabric...


This IKEA shelf unit will probably get dragged with me to my parents' house, where I hope to find a use for it. My dad wants to take the closet for winter coat storage.


This is what's left of the mess in the old sewing room. The bureau is not mine, thankfully. My brother dismantled the table, and it will be taken back to my parent's house as well.


I moved the essential things to the living room: bed (may be given to charity as well) and sewing area mostly.


These used to be leftovers from a quilting project I made a while back, which I found while organizing. I am making an elongated quilted cushion out of them.


It's so good to put things to good use, or give them to someone who will. And even better if it's for a good cause. I'm actually really enjoying this moving process. Even though it's hard work, with lots of carrying and sorting, it actually feels cleansing. I like how every weekend I get to unpack just a bit of stuff, and give it some thought, rather than having a ton of boxes all at once. This is a way for me to sort my stuff and move into the new place without all of the clutter.

There's still much to carry and move, and then we'll get to the heavy stuff, which I might leave to real movers. My biggest problem is the washing machine and the stove, but otherwise it looks like I will move the rest of the stuff myself (with some help from family), or give it away. I'm quite pleased with how things are going so far.

4 comments:

Ricochet said...

Hi! I agree, sorting and packing is a big task, but it feels so good to have it done! I love to declutter and find homes for things I have no use for. Best wishes on your moving process.
Rikka

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Moving is a big job. Getting rid of things you know you won't use is such a good idea, but one I find hard to do... because I just might need it. I hope you're taking those fabulous wall pouches with you!!! They look great hanging on the wall.

Unknown said...

Good luck with your moving!! Hope you're all settled in and sewing again very soon.

mirjam said...

It is good to move house and use it to minimize our `collections`
It also wonderful to do before the new Year. Putting things in parents home, i know we still have some stuff that our children stored here.

i am making bags and other little presents for friends with my leftovers, Aprons seem to be back,,, and they look great made from leftovers.
Shana Tova and a good move mirjam

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...