Wednesday, March 14, 2012

hand-stitching on skirt

Despite my tendency to be ultra-lazy after work and do nothing, I picked up some embroidery floss and a needle, and started hand-stitching a running stitch along the seams of the skirt I'm making.


The purple stains are trick marker lines, just to guide my stitching. They'll wash off.

Reminder: here's the skirt (in progress):


I stitched about an 1/8 of an inch from the seam, on either side. I used three out of six strands of embroidery floss. I separated the strands one by one from their "friends" and then put them back together. I heard somewhere that the stitch comes out nicer that way.



I really like it!

I think I'll hand-stitch along the side-seams as well, and possibly along the top and bottom of the (straight) waistband, once it's installed.

I also want to share with you this link that my dear friend Pam from Threading My Way sent me. It could make a really great handmade gift for kids learning their ABC's and numbers. And maybe other uses could be found for this, not necessarily with letters/numbers, like a puzzle game or a memory game? 

[ source: Happy Together ]
Moms, what do you think?

While you're at it, read Pam's excellent post about refashining / upcycling / repurposing.

4 comments:

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Your hand stitching looks fabulous, Keren. It's amazing the difference it makes. It'll look great on the waistband, too. Thanks so much for the shout out and link back. I've done my numbers much smaller so haven't quilted, but I'm thinking I'll do the letters larger and maybe quilt. They are SO easy to make!

Ricochet said...

The added stitches are such a great detail. I also like the link Pam sent you. That would be a great bbirthday gift for a toddler.

The Bold Abode said...

The hand-stitching is such a beautiful touch! It really adds that "couture" feel...

Unknown said...

Fabulous detail on the skirt! Those extra touches really take garments to a whole new level! thanks for sharing the letters too :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...