Thursday, October 6, 2011

color palette for quilt

All of my pending sewing/quilting projects are complete! Well, most of them are :-D
So it's time to move on to the next!

As I mentioned previously, I want to make a larger quilt than the ones I've made so far, which have been crib size (approximately 100 x 130 cm, or 39 x 51 inch in size). My next quilting project is a lap quilt (140 x 170 cm, or 55 x 67 inch), inspired by this beautiful piece:


quilt by Leesa of Square One Studio [ source ]
I love the design, and I especially love the colors. For this purpose, I chose this palette from Robert Kaufman's Kona Cotton Solid line:



Since I've never taken a look at these fabrics before in actual fabric form, it will be quite a surprise when they arrive by mail! Had I been able to see them, I probably would have chosen fewer colors. I found it wise to leave room for color discrepancies that you naturally get when choosing colors according to what you see solely on a computer screen. Luckily, the minimum cut is 1/4 yard, which allowed my to choose this variety without paying too much or overloading the weight of the shipment.


The online shop hasn't gotten back to me yet with a quote for the shipping price, which means I need to be patient :-( I guess I should go back to garment sewing for the time being...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! great colors! cant wait to see the final :) By the way, did that online shop ever get back to you/ did you get those Kona fabrics?

Keren Duchan said...

Hi Noaa,

Thanks for your comment!

I don't have your email so I'm replying here...

The store got back to me and I got my fabrics. Most of the fabrics are really pretty, but the colors are totally different from what I wanted/expected. I'm not sure how well they will work together. For example, I wanted a neutral/warm creme for the sashing and instead I got a yard and a half of a light-yellow color, which definitely won't work!! I guess it's a gamble... Or I could buy a swatch next time. I'm constantly learning something new!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Keren! Seems like each project takes us in new directions and pose new opportunities for learning :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...