Here are some projects I've been up to.
Pillow cover from baby quilt leftover strips
 |
| pillow front, quilted, no pillow back yet |
I was left with some leftover wonky cut strips, so I pieced them all together into a 47 x 47 cm (18.5 x 18.5 inch) square - using batting scraps as well, pieced together to fill up the square. Then I quilted it with rather tightly spaced stippling stitches.
 |
| my free motion quilting has improved! |
Such tightly spaced stitching is rather time-consuming and thread consuming. After the wash, the batting should shrink and create a crinkly effect, which may obscure the quilting stitches anyway (unless they were of a contrasting color). So it is probably a more effective approach to quilt with a larger scale design. Still, I had to give it a try. I'll show it to you after it goes through the laundry.
 |
| the ruler on the left is in inches. |
I will add a chocolate brown pillow back with zipper, stuff it with a purchased pillow filling, and voilà! - scrap pillow cover will be done.
 |
| pillow back and front, in progress |
Dress (Vogue 8645)
I started sewing this dress weeks ago, before I went off on a very enjoyable quilting tangent. This poor dress was left behind. Since it is fully underlined, I've decided not to add another layer of lining which will be one layer too much for this climate. All that's left is to bias-bind the neckline and armhole edges (but the bias binding will not be visible from the outside - it will serve as a facing), and hem it.
 |
| Pinks and fuchsias are good colors on me, it seems :-) |
The dress also has a sash to tie around the waist, and ties for the shoulders - I've already made these.
Lap Quilt
Since I cannot think of any babies or future babies for whom I can make another baby quilt, it is time to make a bigger quilt! My baby quilts so far have been no larger than 100 x 130 cm (39 x 51 inch). I plan to make a lap quilt inspired by the gorgeous colors and lovely wonky design of the quilt in the below photo, about 140 x 170 cm (55 x 67 inch) in size. This should be a good quilt size for cuddling up on the sofa with a book, and will be a step towards my goal of making a bedspread quilt!
This webpage is useful for figuring out the "standard" size for a lap quilt (and other quilt sizes). Measuring a blanket you already own also helps. I plan to make the squares 30 x 30 cm (12 x 12 inch) - nice and big. And the sashing will be maybe 5 cm (2 inches) wide. There will be 4 x 5 squares. I don't know how much of the colorful fabric I need - maybe 8 fat quarters?
Quilting Books?
I've been feasting my eyes on some gorgeous quilting books, but I don't want to spend my money on books when I can buy fabric and figure out the designs for myself! And there are still so many great free tutorials and quilt patterns for me to try out and learn from.
 |
Quilts Made Modern:
10 Projects, Keys for Success
with Color & Design [ on amazon ] |
|
 |
Transparency Quilts:
10 Modern Projects -
Keys for Success in Fabric Selection
[ on amazon ] |
|
 |
The Practical Guide to Patchwork:
New Basics for the Modern
Quiltmaker [ on amazon ] |
|
 |
Simple Graces:
Charming Quilts and
Companion Projects [ on amazon ] |
|
I just add the quilting books to my Amazon wishlist, for fun, and no harm done to my bank account... :-)
Do you have any quilting books you recommend?
1 comment:
You are such a busy girl! That dress will be gorgeous on you...love the colors. I haven't been brave enough to make anything for myself yet.
Post a Comment