Thursday, October 6, 2011

two quilted pillow covers - completed, with photos!

I've finished the second mod mosaic pillow, made for my sweet friend Einat, as well as the pillow I made from leftover blocks of the baby quilt.

Here are some photos of the work in progress. Enjoy!

piecing together the wonky pieces
all pieced together and cropped to size!
creating the quilt sandwich - top, batting, backing
closeup of the wonky squares
all quilted! Free motion stippling (meandering)

cropping the excess batting and backing to make it square again
quilted pillow front - finished
Here are the two quilted pillow covers, drying after the wash.

waiting impatiently for them to dry after the wash!
Washing the quilted pillow cover causes the batting to shrink slightly. The batting shrinks more than the quilting cotton, especially since the quilting cotton was already pre-washed. This creates a beautiful crinkled effect, which remains even when the pillow cover is stretched out over a pillow.



I think that the smaller the quilting design (the closer together the meandering/stippling stitches are), the finer (smaller) the crinkling effect attained.


I am pleased with the results!

Blue mod mosaic pillow for Einat - done
Pink wonky blocks pillow for my future niece - done

4 comments:

libbys said...

They came out beautifully! It seems like a lot of work done!

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Keren, I loved your retro pillow, but I love this mod mosaic pillow even more. Maybe it's because blue is my favourite colour, or maybe it's because there's less white. It looks fantastic. Lucky Einat!

Marilyn said...

love it!!! How creative.. I would LOVE for you to link it to my Pin Inspirational Thursday Linky pweease.. :)) http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/2011/10/pinspirations-pinterest-inspirational.html.. PS:officially following ya with smiles..:))

passiona said...

I love these!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...