Tuesday, October 11, 2011

green improvisational quilt - day 2

I finished preparing the 16 improvisational but similar squares.



Putting the squares so close made the quilt pretty small, and would have required me to make a ton more squares, so I decided to space them further apart.


Even so, I needed to add at least four more squares. I decided to add four "odd looking" squares.


Then I pieced it all together.


If I add 5 cm (2 inches) of white sashing/border all around, the quilt dimensions will be:
138 cm x 116 cm (54 inches x 45 inches)

Which is a tad small for a lap quilt... I need to think about how to make it bigger now without damaging the design.

Lessons learned

  • Make each block a predetermined size, by padding it with the sashing colored fabric. Otherwise, you'll have problems piecing it together (size differences) which you'll need to troubleshoot on the spot. And you'll know in advance that your quilt will end up the desired size.
  • Make each block bigger, or else you'll need to make lots and lots of little blocks...
  • Buy a replacement rotary cutter blade - it puts a lot of strain on your wrist when it's not sharp.
  • Be kind to the hand that holds down the ruler when cutting, or the wrist of that hand will hurt as well. 
  • Make sure you have enough fabric in advance, or you'll find yourself improvising more than you may want to.

2 comments:

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Keren, I think the four extra squares you added pick up and highlight the red fabric used on the other squares. I like the design and colours. Look forward to seeing how you make it a little larger.

Juliet said...

This has got to be the funkiest quilt! I love it so much I might even have a go myself.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...