Friday, November 4, 2011

lined tote for pattern-making class

I made this tote extra large (extra long, actually) so that A3-sized paper and folders will fit in it.
I carried it with me today to the second pattern making lesson with pride!



There wasn't enough of this lovely dark maroon colored fabric for the lining, so I extended it with this cute plaid. The extra line of top-stitching between the lining fabrics is a pretty touch, and it also serves for re-enforcing the lining (seam allowances are pressed toward the maroon fabric).




The whole bag is made using only fabric from my stash.
It took about 3 hours to make, thanks to my trusty rotary cutter.



The outer fabric is a heavy natural (unbleached) cotton twill weave, which I had purchased a long time ago for the purpose of upholstering my sofa arms due to cat-inflicted damage. Since I've decided to upholster the whole sofa (or buy a new sofa, whichever's cheaper), I am happily using this big piece of fabric. I love the warm natural look of this fabric. It is sturdy so it retains its shape well. The lining also contributes to retain the shape of the bag, even when it is full of heavy items of various shapes.

I also whipped up this scrunchy fleece bag for my drafting rules in no time:


I made a bag before this one without a lining. Would you believe it took longer to make? And obviously the result was poorer. The reason it took longer was because the straps were attached on the outside, like so:


This takes a lot more work than attaching the straps in one go, as you are seaming the bag and lining together. 

If you are interested in making a lined tote of your own, check out this post.
And do consider joining us in the Solids-Only Tote Challenge! There's still time!

2 comments:

Trish @MomOnTimeout said...

I "sew" wish I could sew. I need to get my sister to teach me. What a versatile tote. Thank you so much for sharing at Taking A Timeout Thursday! Hope to see you again tomorrow :)
-Trish @ Mom On Timeout
http://www.MomOnTimeout.com

Trish @MomOnTimeout said...

I "sew" wish I could sew. I need to get my sister to teach me. What a versatile tote. Thank you so much for sharing at Taking A Timeout Thursday! Hope to see you again tomorrow :)
-Trish @ Mom On Timeout
http://www.MomOnTimeout.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...