| front |
| back |
| inside - cellphone pocket and magnetic snap |
This is how it looks from the wrong side:
Then I thought I could choose a more sophisticated design for the reverse applique on my tote. I chose this Moroccan Inlay pattern:
![]() |
| [ source ] |
I made a stencil out of this design, and couldn't help printing a bit of it on a piece of scrap fabric using fabric paint. Which reminds me, I really need to get more fabric paint colors :-)
Then I tried reverse applique-ing this pattern on a scrap piece of fabric:
At this point I realized I shouldn't be sewing on the lines of the design, because that makes the orange part of the design smaller (you cut out the fabric 1 mm or so inwards from your stitch). I realized I should sew outside the lines of the design, and cut on the lines of the design. I think that worked well on the tote itself :-)
| reverse applique closeup on the finished tote |
I bought this fabric for my challenge tote, but I ended up using only the sea-green lining. I will use this fabric for the next tote :-) The orange is a tad more yellowish in reality, and it was intended for the bag itself. The pale pink fabric was intended for the reverse applique design. The sea green fabric serves as the lining. Retro colors :-)
Total cost of fabric: 45 NIS ($12 US)
This is the reversible bag pattern I used to make my tote. The only alterations were an inner patch pocket for my cellphone, and a magnetic snap to close the bag.
![]() |
| [ source, including pattern and instructions ] |
This is a bag I made in the past using this pattern - I use this bag every day.
| bag I previously made using the above pattern [ source ] |
So that's it! What do you think?
I'm planning on making another tote bag. I think I'll draft the pattern myself according to this bag that I have and use a lot:
I'm thinking of using something along the lines of one of these designs for the reverse applique for the second tote:
![]() |
| floppy disk [ source ] |
![]() | ||
audio cassette - need to work on it to make it reverse-applique-able [ source ]
|
![]() |
| dots, in various color combos, big or small |






10 comments:
Keren, your bag is fabulous!!! This is a very versatile design, which you'll be able to wear with a wide range of clothing, dressing it up or down. It really is stunning and I expect you will receive lots of compliments when you wear it. CLASSY!!!
This is a great bag!! I love the design you chose for the
tote bag! Very well done. Can't wait to see your next bag! I really like the tape cassette and the retro design : )
I really love how you finished out your bag!! It's got great colors, shapes and the actual tote looks like something you could enjoy often! Fabulous!
I love it, Keren. Not only does it look cool but I absolutely LOVE the shape and style of your bag!
You are so creative, Keren! I love this tote..very classy yet casual..fantastic.
Hi! Following you from Pam at Threading My Way! :)
Wow!
Finished already!
It's just fabulous!
I'm thinking ,maybe, I should get a move on with mine....
What a great tote. I love the pattern you have used it is very effective
What a great tote! Super cute! Thank you so much for sharing at Taking A Timeout Thursday! Hope to see you again tomorrow :)
-Trish @ Mom On Timeout
http://www.MomOnTimeout.com
This is so lovely Keren, I hope to one day be brave enough to try some reverse applique myself! Great job :)
Post a Comment