Thursday, November 3, 2011

stenciling on fabric - day two

My stenciling adventures continue (since yesterday). I took it up a notch today, and found some funky symbols and signs online to make into stencils.

I made these two beauties today. It was so quick and easy and so much fun!

Here's one. I'm going to sew this one on a big bag I made for my pattern making course supplies:

approx the size of an A4 sheet of paper
Here it is after adding some top-stitching:


Here's the stencil I made:


And here's the image I found online that I used in order to cut out the stencil:


For the second stencil, I traced and modified the croquis in the purple dress below:


Here's the stencil:



And the result, printed on unbleached duck canvas cotton:


The diagonal ridges of the cotton contribute to the washed/grained look of the print. Stenciling on a fabric with some texture was a good idea. 

I pinned a ton of symbols that can easily be made into stencils, here on my "stenciling resources" pinterest board. Here are a few that I especially love.
pixelated, space-invaders style [ source ]
helicopter [ source ]
needle and thread [ source ]

There are some good ones here as well, such as:

[ source ]
source ]
this could be funny in the right context [ source ]

2 comments:

Wag Doll said...

Oh my I love your stencilling! The pony-tailed lady is such an exquisite shape!

Trish @MomOnTimeout said...

This looks so cool! Thanks so much for sharing at Taking A Timeout Thursday. I can't wait to see what you share this week.

--Trish @ Mom On Timeout
http://www.MomOnTimeout.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...