Here are photos of the finished dress (Butterick 4790).
You wear it like a smock on your neck.
You button the front piece (the one with less fabric) at the back waist:
... and finally you wrap the back piece around to the front using three snaps:
I hemmed the skirt by overlock stitching using my serger, and then folding then hem once and hemming by machine from the right side.
I used a 1 cm hem on the circle skirt:
and a wider hem on the front, because it is a straight hem:
The bias binding was machine-sewn to the right side, and then fell-stitched by hand on the wrong side into the "tunnel" between the bias binding and the fashion fabric, so you can't see the fell stitching from the right side. The hand sewing was quite time consuming because this dress calls for a lot of bias binding, but I do enjoy it.Passiona Cottee pointed out to me this lace and linen version of this dress:
It must have been hard to do, with all those darts... I love the fragile look of lace on a dress. Nevertheless, the green polka dotted version is still my absolute favorite!
What do you think?
Will you try using this pattern?
Comments and questions (and constructive criticism!) are very welcome :-)



2 comments:
I love this dress. Can't wait to get the pattern. Thanks for posting.
Wow, your version has convinced me to add this pattern to my wish list. Beautiful! And wonderful job on all that hand sewing!
Post a Comment