Sunday, July 31, 2011

Sew Retro Bombshell Dress - done, with photos

Don't ask me why I didn't post up these photos earlier, though I finished this dress a few days ago. I was the first person speeding to finish the course, but then I stopped short and took my time with the final tweaks. Someone else finished her dress before me, which is so unfair! But I must say she did a beautiful job:
[source]

I had to re-do my hand-sewn lapped zipper because I needed to take in 4 cm at the neckline, without taking in anything at the waistline. I also had to take out the permanent straps and install them as removable straps using two buttons, and I re-hemmed the skirt (hand-hemmed, 3/4 circle skirt!) because my blind catch stitch was sort of floppy.

Enough talk now - here's my dress:
with the removable strap
without the removable strap
I wonder if the hem isn't straight?
Why must everything be flawed?
When will I make something perfect...?

Well, I'll leave this dress to settle in the closet for a bit for now :-)

There are more photos here that I took throughout the process of making this dress.

4 comments:

mimi o said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mimi o said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mimi o said...

Your dress came out lovely!!! Next time you may want to let your dress "hang" for 24-48 hours prior to placing a hem in it. This would allow time for the bias areas of the skirt to stretch and then you can go back and mark your hem or have a friend mark it for you so that it is level and straight.

Gretchen did a video tutorial on how you can accomplish this on your own without needing someone there to help mark it. Here is the link:

http://www.blogforbettersewing.com/2010/01/hemming-circle-skirt-part-one.html

Nice job!!! Sorry for the deleted posts...typos :-P

Vic said...

It looks pretty bloody perfect to me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...