Saturday, July 30, 2011

quilted pillow - done

Hi!

Remember this little bit of quilting I tried out the other day?
quilted with a free motion foot using top stitching thread
This is what has become of it:
pillow front
pillow back
I had marked a 40 cm x 40 cm square (16 in x 16 in) as the seam line on the red-and-white striped fabric, and then  I marked a 2 cm wide border inside it for the squiggly quilt design (I didn't want the design to go all the way up to the seam). I have two pillows that I'm bored of so I thought this would be the start of a nice little improvement for my modest living room.
squiggles from close up
The zipper is not placed along the seam connecting the back and front of the pillow. Instead, it is installed into the back pillow piece, 5 cm (2 inches) below the seam line. Then the zipper is left open, the back and front pillow pieces are placed together right sides facing, and all four edge seams are sewn. The pillow is reversed right side out through the open zipper.

back zipper
The fabric for the back piece is truly vintage - I got it from the stash of my sister-in-law's grandmother.

Here's how it looks from the inside. I finished the seams using my serger, which was really cool because it bound all that fluffy batting nice and compact!
inside view
I love my overlock machine!
Would you like me to post a tutorial on how to make this pillow?
If so please say so in the comments and I'll be really happy to!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...