Finished 24 hour baby quilt
Yes, I made this quilt in under 24 hours on the clock, start to finish! It is the 3rd quilt I've ever sewn. The reason it went by so fast was that I finally understood and applied the ingenious methods, tips and tricks of my quilting gurus: Oh, Fransson! and the Missouri Star Quilt Company tutorials. They are just smart, the way they piece everything together.
Cost: $0 - fabric, batting, everything from my existing stash.
Dimensions: approx 85 cm x 110 cm (33 inch x 43 inch)
BTW, I decided to give this quilt to a baby that's already been born, and make another one for the originally intended baby, so I can show it to you uncensored :-)
Back of the quilt is completely white.
I chose a quilting design that is very simplistic, where the seams are spaced rather far apart, because the batting I used here does not allow for closer seams - that would have left the quilt stiff and cardboard-like.
The color scheme was quite spontaneous - after seeing what I had in my stash, I decided to go for pinks and greens. I'm rather pleased with the result, even though I was confined to using only fabric scraps that I had at home.
I wonder what the mother of the future owner of this quilt will say when she gets it!
Finished Retro Pillow
My first Retro Pillow is done! I don't know if it will be my last, because although I love the technique used to make it, I'm not so happy with the balance of white and color. I prefer more color, larger scraps, thinner sashing (the white strips in between the colors). We'll see. I hope you can still see the hand-quilted circles in this picture. I promise to post better photos soon!!
| retro pillow - front |
| retro pillow - back |
I spent around 3 hours at the Quilt Shop here in Israel. It has been open for 8 years and for some reason I found out about it just now!
These are the fabrics I selected for my next baby quilt. The off-white / cream colored fabric (top right) will be used as sashing. The printed, polka dot and solid pinks (bottom row) are for the blocks. The pink with wonky dots (top left) is a soft flannel, for the back of the quilt. All good quality, cotton, quilting fabrics, which I've seen and acquired for the first time in my life!
Here's the free fat quarter I got for becoming a member of the shop's discount club:
Finally, here are a few additional treasures I picked up at the shop:
- batting that has built-in stickiness (that comes off in the wash). The top and back of the quilt stick to it, so no basting is necessary before quilting!
- OmniGrid ruler, in inches (the proper ruler for a rotary cutter)
- A new rotary cutter, where I can move the blade to the other side because I am left-handed
- 100% good quality cotton thread to match the sashing color
- "sandpaper dots" to put on the ruler so it doesn't slip
Tell me what you think!
4 comments:
Keren, the quilt is beautiful! The baby's mother should be very pleased. The greens and pinks work very well together.
The retro pillow: WOW... I love it!!! The colours, shapes and dimensions all work well. Looking at the photos before and after the quilting, I'm surprised at the difference the quilted circles make to the finished pillow. Before the circles were added, I would have said there was too much white. With the quilted circles done, the amount of white space looks perfect!
I'd love to see a close up of the quilting.
Love it!
I think that the composition does work well. It all depends now on on what backround the pillow will be placed. I remember an experiment from the color composition and color psychology course in college... Place the pillow on a white piece of fabric, then on a contrasting fabric etc. Try the different color mixing composition on the color wheel and observe the visual effect. Like I said, I find the balance to be stable, but maybe if u try the color experiment, u will also grow to be satisfied with your composition.
The new owners (mom and daughter) of the baby quilt are very happy!!! It is amazing!
I love the fact that it is all from existing fabric leftovers.
Post a Comment