Sunday, September 18, 2011

more placemats


Here's what I made today. I actually made four placemats, but I ran out of the red backing fabric so I quilted only three (no binding yet):

one placemat, right side up
I wanted the placemats to have a dark-ish background (I figured white isn't too suitable for something you put a plate of food on), so I chose this jeans-colored plain cotton weave. Problem is it has these "fade marks" on it - you can even see that in the photo. So I guess I will be re-making these placemats and giving these particular ones to someone who isn't picky about the fade-marks!

Anyway, I had fun making them. I love this slice-and-dice technique. I love my new rotary cutter and Omnigrid ruler! The rotary cutter has a handle that you press while cutting, which exposes the blade, and when you let go, the blade goes hiding back behind the plastic on its own. It is also suited for left handed people like me which is so much more convenient. The Omnigrid ruler is great, though it does slip - it's a good thing I got the non-slip stickers to stick onto it.

rotary cutter like the one I got


Omnigrid ruler like the one I got
I want to choose a print fabric for the binding. I've run out, though! So I guess I am allowed a trip to the fabric shop tomorrow (yay!)

My free motion quilting certainly has improved. It's been fun!

Tell me what you think of this style.
Do you like it?
Would you make something using this technique?

1 comment:

Ricochet said...

I love that stacked squares pattern. And placemats are a brilliant project to showcase free motion quilting! I may be a copy-cat and try this idea myself!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...