Thursday, September 1, 2011

my market tote - finished, with photos

I made a tote yesterday, according to Holly's tutorial (of the bijou lovely designs blog). Here's her tote, in a perfectly photographed photo that I envy:
[source: bijou lovely]
Here is my tote, which I love, but which deserves much better photos... better lighting and focus, I know!!
my beloved shopping tote
don't you just love the lining?
I'm happy with the result! And it is all made up of fabric from my stash!
Now I can take it with me when I go shopping, so I don't need any plastic bags from the stores :-D

I followed the tutorial pretty closely, but made a few changes here and there.
Here are my lessons learned, tips, and comments and for this project:

Fabrics used: I used three fabrics instead of two:
  • heavy weight denim for the base (and the inner side of the straps),
  • medium/heavy weight yellow cotton twill for the outer bag, and 
  • medium/light weight plain-weave cotton with a vintage flowery print for the lining.
I wanted to use the denim for the base, so I chose a lighter weight fabric for the lining. I think it adds a nice touch as well!

Since the denim was so heavy, I didn't leave a bottom layer of the yellow fabric underneath it, at the base. I think this worked well, but if you use lighter weight fabrics, I would leave both layers for durability. Also, I didn't interface any of the fabric pieces because the fabric was sturdy enough at the bottom and the straps due to the denim and partly due to the yellow twill.

Since the denim was so heavy, I didn't sew the straps right sides together and turned them right side out (I didn't think the denim would cooperate with turning). Rather I pressed in the seam allowances and edge-stitched (top-stitched) them closed.
straps up close - thick and comfy to carry
I love how the straps are a different color on each side!
Since the denim frays easily, I serged its edges even though the raw edges (seam allowances) will be hidden inside the lining.

Top-stitching is so much fun! I improvised a bit. The top-stitching at the base uses a special "running-stitch-like" stitch of my machine.
special sort of topstitch that my machine makes - just for fun
The tutorial instructs to make the lining slightly smaller than the outer fabric - I made them pretty much the same dimensions because I was just too tired with all the conversions from inches to cms! I think it worked out OK - maybe my lining isn't as taut, but that's fine by me.

I love turning the bag through an opening in the lining! How simple and smart! In the past I sealed the bag (outer + lining) by pressing in the seam allowances at the top edge and top-stitching it closed. The method explained in the tutorial is much smarter!

I liked how the tutorial tells you to sew the important seams extra strong - especially when connecting the straps to the bag. This is important in order for your bag to retain shape.

I wish the bottom of the bag could be really flat and square when you put stuff in it - but I guess you need some kind of inner structure for that.

Now go and make your own!! :-)

Oh, and have I mentioned the Retro Pillow Challenge has officially started? We're all very excited! Check it out - anyone can still join!


9 comments:

holly | bijou lovely said...

Your bag looks amazing Keren! Your tips are great too, thanks for sharing :)

Ricochet said...

Looks so great! Your top-stitching is top-notch! Taking the time to do some extra lines of top-stitching really makes a bag look professional and finished.
Kudos!

Amy said...

For inner structure - try a piece of plastic canvas cut to size and placed between the bag and lining (it looks like a plastic grid; people sometimes use it to 'embroider' with). It still flexes, but makes squared-off bags look sharper. You could do a double layer if you really wanted it to be firm. I also thread a narrow piece through the top hem of the pieces of fabric for my inner pockets to hold them open a bit.

Keren Duchan said...

Thanks so much, Amy!! I'm making another tote and I'll be sure to try that!

Pam @Threading My Way said...

A fabulous tote, Keren! You've co-ordinated the three fabrics beautifully and yes, I also love the lining. I'm impressed with how you've lined up the fabric perfectly at the seams.

Anonymous said...

Ditto on the plastic canvas and you don't have to wait till your next bag. While it's really nice to put it between the bag and the lining, you don't have to. You can either just pop it into the bottom of the bag or make it its own little cover before you pop it in there. Those methods actually make it easy to remove for washing (if your bag is washable).

beth said...

thanks for your tips! i used them in making my own!! http://yellowhousedays.blogspot.com/2012/07/market-tote-for-mom.html

Country Mouse said...

super cute!! I'm making one for me...AND a couple for Christmas gifts! :)
audrey

Krysta said...

Darling tote! I made two using the same pattern for my boys. I LOVE how you used the denim! It gives it such a cute, casual look! I might have to take a little inspiration from you if I make another one of these! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...