Tuesday, October 25, 2011

speedy fabric picture frames

I found some unused cheap IKEA black picture frames lying around in the closet, and in a spur of the moment decision, I framed some fabric!
my proud display of framed fabrics

There are several ways to do this:

  1. Glue the fabric directly onto the frame. In this case, there's no need for the cardboard backing of the frame. The frame hangs directly on a nail in the wall. Make sure to stretch the fabric very slightly as you are gluing it to the frame, in order for it to be taut, but not warped. In this variation, you can also use your frame for hanging earrings, by sticking them directly through the fabric and closing them from the other side.
  2. Glue the fabric onto the cardboard backing that came with the frame. Then put the fabric-covered cardboard back in the frame.
  3. Place the fabric inside the frame and close it up with the cardboard backing, as if it were a regular photo. This method might be fussy because not all fabric cooperates and stays nice and smooth.

I removed the "glass" (plastic) from the frame so that the fabric will not be covered by a shiny layer.

I chose any which fabric I had and felt like using, and then hung the frames up arbitrarily. I could have also made some patchwork or applique work and hung those up, but that's a separate project for a different day :-)

Do you think it works? I like it because it's really speedy and improvisational. You can make this project with so many variations - different frames, different sizes, different layout on the wall, playing with colors and prints... The options are endless. I usually don't like fussing around with photos and such, and it was great fun to get this done in no time!

Here's a frame I made a few days previously, using lace, a vintage frame from a flea market, and buttons, for hanging up necklaces and earrings:


3 comments:

Trish @MomOnTimeout said...

That's a really great idea! It would be really cute in a kids room with a kid-appropriate print. Love it! If you have a second I'd love for you to share at my party: http://www.momontimeout.com/2011/10/taking-timeout-thursday-link-party-no-2.html

-Trish

kids craft ideas said...

So cute ideas! i love it, thanks for sharing.

Trish @MomOnTimeout said...

Thanks for sharing at Taking A Timeout Thursday! Hope to see you again this week!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...