Wednesday, November 23, 2011

labels for fabric baggies

Today I worked on making the labels for the fabric baggies.



At first, I tried making the label with a fabric marker, and decided against it. So I thought that instead I'd use stencils for printing on the text. I googled "free stencil fonts", downloaded  and installed a few, and wrote the text ("buttons") using Microsoft Word. Then I printed it out, created a stencil and stenciled away on a piece of fabric using black fabric paint and a brush.


top: printed on paper | left: stencil | right: stenciled onto fabric

I wasn't pleased enough with the result - it's pretty and all, but it's such a lengthy process, so I thought I'd try the fabric marker again. The second time around with the fabric marker I was happy with the result.

I fused some fusible interfacing onto the back side of the label to prevent fraying of the raw edges, and embroidered the label onto the green bag (version 2.1) using three strands of black embroidery floss. I love a good running stitch.



I am really happy with the result.

I also fixed the tab with the eyelet, which was stitched on backwards. I ripped out the seam, turned it around, and closed up the opening in the lining by hand using a slip stitch.

Coming up in the fabric baggies project:

I'll make more fabric baggies based on green prototype baggie version 2.1, each in a different fabric, with its own labels. All of the labels will be the same beige-like neutral color. I will take photos and record measurements for the tutorial. Once enough baggies are ready, I will prepare and paint the long piece of wood that will be secured onto the wall, with small hooks on it. The fabric baggies will hang on these hooks. Then I'll publish the tutorial!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh..I love this..very clever!!

Keren..you are so talented. :)

Pam @Threading My Way said...

It's perfect, Keren!!! Looks like v.2.1 is the final revision.

Jennifer said...

Oh my goodness, I love this!

Unknown said...

These are turning out great! Creating the stencil is a long process. I've been cutting out freezer paper stencils with my Cricut. I don't get as many font choices but it saves a lot of time. Can't wait to see the little baggies all lined up on your wall!

Wag Doll said...

Love these - so cute and so practical x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...