Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Christine Haynes Sewing Patterns

I'd like to share with you the story of Christine Haynes, which I stumbled upon yesterday. She's trying to get her sewing patterns printed, and she needs $6500 of initial capital for kick-starting her printed patterns. She is a hardworking one-woman operation that's been sewing, designing, and teaching for seven years. She has designed and sewn everything she has sold herself!
Here are some of her designs:
 

Watch this five-minute video to learn more:
At first I was like "What? They suggest we donate to someone's private business venture?" And then I thought - isn't this a nice gesture to tell someone you appreciate their work and would like them to succeed? You can pledge $1, or more if you like. Something about her modesty touched my heart, and I think she's very talented and I like her designs, so I pledged $10.

Christine published a book which looks interesting - too bad Amazon doesn't allow you to see the featured dress designs inside. I read her intro in the book and I like her vibe. She has a simple style that's not plain, feminine but not girly, with patterns that are quick to make and which you can mix and match to make them your own.

Needless to say I am not affiliated in any way... Just stumbled upon it while browsing the many sewing and crafting blogs out there.

What do you think about this kickstarter idea? Is it strange or touching? Would you be inclined to pledge a donation to such a venture?

4 comments:

melissa said...

hello!!!!! i live in nazareth in israel and i'm a sewing semi beginner......soooo interesting to find your blog!!!!! anyway i just have a quick question for you....what is the difference between shirring and using a piece of elastic????? if a pattern tells you to use a piece of elastic to gather say a sleeve or something...could you just replace it by shirring it?????........

melissa said...

by the way...i think it's a great idea.....her designs look gorgeous!!!

Keren Duchan said...

Hi Melissa,

Welcome to my blog! I'm not really sure how to answer your question - shirring uses a piece of a round (thread-like) elastic: it is usually decorative, and usually done in several rows. Shirring is done by either using the elastic as the bobbin thread, or by sewing over it with a zigzag stitch and then pulling it to the desired width.

Gathering with elastic can be done in various ways - by sewing a "tunnel" for the elastic band and pulling it through, or by sewing on the elastic band as it is being stretched. An elastic band is probably more durable than the shirring elastic.

So it's more of a nuance of a difference, and depends on the exact design, and takes judgement to decide which technique can be used in each case. Hope this helps.

Keren

melissa said...

thanks keren!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...