After yesterday's discouraged fitting post, I thought "hey, 'Fit For Real People' is a good book and I should try using it, even if it is time consuming".
So I tried. The sad result is I have some ideas of how to correct the pattern, but I'm confused and unsure. For example I think I need to straighten a dart, but maybe I was supposed to lay the pattern differently on my body, making it straight? Same thing for other alterations. After trying out the tissue, it looks like a sad wrinkled and torn piece of paper. *sigh*.
But for the purpose of being productive I've decided to follow this plan:
- Buy more fitting books from Amazon with my gift certificate (see list below).
- Eat cake.
- Take a break.
- Add some excess fabric in the seam allowance in several key areas.
- Position the darts only after cutting and trying out the fabric - before sewing.
- Cut and try out the front and back before cutting and adding the full skirt.
- Read "Fit for Real People" a bit more.
- Stop being such a perfectionist... Just sew already.
Here are the books I ordered:
This is a fitting book I mentioned in my previous post, which looks good. I think it is based more on taking measurements and altering the pattern accordingly rather than fitting on the body. It uses a technique called "pivot and slide" which should be interesting to learn:
This is a fitting book I mentioned in my previous post, which looks good. I think it is based more on taking measurements and altering the pattern accordingly rather than fitting on the body. It uses a technique called "pivot and slide" which should be interesting to learn:
![]() |
| Pattern Fitting with Confidence / Nancy Zieman |
| Pants for Real People: Fit and Sew for Any Body (Sewing for Real People series) / Pati Palmer & Marta Alto |
This I think is a reprint of the Singer sewing library book, got good reviews and should be comprehensive and interesting:
![]() |
| The Perfect Fit: The Classic Guide to Altering Patterns |
![]() |
| As a Lady Would Say: Responses to Life's Important (and Sometimes Awkward) Situations (Gentlemanners) / Sheryl Shade |



2 comments:
oh I'm also looking for a good book for fitting :)
can you post a review on every book after you try using them?
Hi Shira,
Thanks for your comment! I will be happy to post a review on the fitting books. They should arrive by mail only in several weeks though! :-)
Post a Comment