Saturday, June 11, 2011

kanzashi and patterns

Today is a new day! I feel like today is the day, when I'm actually going to reclaim my sewing room! Meaning: clear out heaps of mess, organize it, and rearrange it to be usable. It's time to move the sewing machines and sketching table to the living room, since it is the only room in the house with air-conditioning. The sewing room will still contain most of the supplies (fabric etc) though.

One of the things that got me wanting to organize and use my fabric scraps is this lovely technique called kanzashi - these are flower hair ornaments used in Japanese hairstyles.
aren't they beautiful?
Note: there are some tutorials by Japanese girls where they call the chopstick that goes in your hair "kanzashi". The video shows you how to do your hair with a chopstick. For example:

I found several good sites showing how to make beautiful fabric flowers. What great use for fabric scraps! And such fun to make something by hand. I think they will make beautiful contemporary hair ornaments, as well as pins for clothing, bags, etc.


Kanzashi-Making, by Sister Diane from Diane Gilleland on Vimeo.



---
All of my patterns have arrived in the mail! This is the first batch of patterns that I bought, along with finished projects that inspired me to get them:

Retro Butterick `56: 5603
the completed Butterick 5603 by Green Apples
Butterick 5029
the completed Butterick 5029 by Planchet
Butterick 5644 - thought it would be a nice summery top
Butterick 5640 - looks like it'll flatter a pear-shaped figure
Butterick 5641
Butterick 4989 - always good to have something like this to put on in case it gets chilly
Butterick 5638
Butterick 5645
Butterick 5598 - looks like a lot of work but I love the trench coat style
McCall's 5974 - wrap dress
the completed McCall's 5984 by Green Apples -
with a very persuading explanation about why this is a great wrap dress pattern
Vogue 8577 (retro style)
the completed and altered Vogue 8577 by Green Apples - I love the gathered sleeves.
---
A final word about the "Vogue Patterns" magazine. The first copy of my 1-year subscription arrived by mail. Imagine my surprise when I found no patterns in it! I thought it was a pattern magazine like Burda, where you have pattern sheets inside that you can copy and make! I guess it's just a plain magazine. {:-|

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...